4 years ago
Animals Rights in Islam
1. Prophet Muhammad, inspired by God’srevelation, l aid the human rights and evenanimals rights long before both termscame into being.What distinguishes the Islamic rightswhether for humans or animals is that theyare ordinances by God and they werepracticed in the golden age of Islam.Any one who violates these rights is asinner who will be punish by God.In this presentation, you will read somehadiths that were the basis of the Islamicapproach towards animals.
2. It is narrated that someonetook two chicks of a bird(hamra), which came inpanic searching for itschicks. ProphetMuhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him andhis house) then asked,
3. Insects should not be killed with fireThe Prophet (SWS) oncepassed by a burnt hole in which ants lived. He(SWS) said deplorably :
4. Animals should be made hungryOnce the Prophet (SWS)passed by a a camel thatwas so emaciated, its backwas one with its abdomen.Upon seeing that, theProphet (SWS) said,
5. One day the Prophet (SWS)entered a garden belonging toa man from the Ansar. In thegarden he (SWS) noticed a camelwhich froze and its eyes startedwatering upon seeing theMessenger of Allah. The Prophet(SWS) then came to it and rubbedits ears, causing it to becomecalm. He (SWS) then asked,
6. Animals should not be burdened beyond their capacitiesA young man from the Ansartold him, “O Messenger ofAllah, it belongs to me.” TheProphet (SWS) then told him,“Do you not fear Allah withregard to this beast, whichHe has let you own?It complained to me that youstarve it and tire it byoverworking it and using itbeyond its capacity.”
7. Feeding an animal shall be rewarded by GodThe Prophet (SWS) said,
8. “There was a Jewish whore,who used to commit adulteryand took it as a profession. Ithappened that she passed by awell one day. Because she wasthirsty, she came down to thewell to quench her thirst. Whenshe approached the brim of thewell, she found a dog out ofbreath from the blunt of thirst.“It must have beensuffering exactly like me,” shethought.
9. She took off her shoes,which she filled when shewent down to the well. Shethen stretched her hand andquenched the dog’s thirst.When this whore died, shewas let into heaven and herlong series of sins wereremitted because of this onethoughtful act of quenchingthe dog’s thirst.
10. Imprisoning an animal brings God’s wrath.The Prophet (SWS) said,
11. Animals shouldn’t be ridden for side talkIt happened that the Prophet(SWS) saw some peoplesitting on animals to which hecommented,
12. Animals should not be taken as targets for shootingThe Prophet (SWS) said,
13. Animals Should not be Humiliated The Prophet (SWS) said; “Do not clip the forelock of a horse, for decency is attached to their forelock, for it protects it; nor their tail, for it is fly-flap.” (Narrated by Utba bin Farqad abu abd)
14. Animals Should not be HumiliatedIbn Umar (RA) said;
15. Umar Ibn Al-Khatab said :“I fear that if an animal hasstumbled in the far east orwest, I will be heldaccountable before my Lordon the Day of Judgment.”